Even if GLORY is shifting towards four-man tournaments, there is still going to be a need for a reserve fight in these tournaments and considering that the reserve fighters will have fought the same number of fights as the main tournament fighters, it seems a lot more even. It was announced today that at GLORY 11 Chicago and their huge Heavyweight tournament that we'll see a Heavyweight reserve bout between newly-signed Hesdy Gerges and Errol Zimmerman. Both men have been top ten Heavyweights for years now, with Zimmerman having an incredible run up until he ran into Semmy Schilt last year.
This is a very logical move on the part of GLORY and oddly enough, this is a fight that has never happened before. Never. It was expected to go down at the K-1 World Grand Prix in Nanjing in 2011, but FEG's financial problems led to that event not happening. So Chicago gets another big Heavyweight showdown between two of the best in the business, it is hard to complain about this card, which will be the promotion's debut on Spike TV.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His first novel, the Godslayer, is available now.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Yokkao Breaks New Ground with 4K Ultra HD Saenchai Promo
- VIDEO: Former NBA Player Darko Milicic Loses Kickboxing Debut
- Rico Verhoeven, Murthel Groenhart and Andy Souwer on KhunLun Fight 15
- Video: Josh Jauncey vs. Jae-Gil Noh From GLORY 18
- WGP #24 on December 20th Featuring Alex Pereira and Felipe Micheletti
- Video: Hesdy Gerges vs. Benjamin Adegbuyi from Glory 18
- Hesdy Gerges Sentenced to Five Years in Prison on 2011 Cocaine Smuggling Case
- Liverkick Exclusive: Glory 18 Calm Before The Storm Video
- Liverkick Throwback: Badr Hari Vs Errol Zimmerman K-1 WGP 2008
- Glory 18: Liverkick Exclusive Post-Fight Interview with Hesdy Gerges