Even if GLORY is shifting towards four-man tournaments, there is still going to be a need for a reserve fight in these tournaments and considering that the reserve fighters will have fought the same number of fights as the main tournament fighters, it seems a lot more even. It was announced today that at GLORY 11 Chicago and their huge Heavyweight tournament that we'll see a Heavyweight reserve bout between newly-signed Hesdy Gerges and Errol Zimmerman. Both men have been top ten Heavyweights for years now, with Zimmerman having an incredible run up until he ran into Semmy Schilt last year.
This is a very logical move on the part of GLORY and oddly enough, this is a fight that has never happened before. Never. It was expected to go down at the K-1 World Grand Prix in Nanjing in 2011, but FEG's financial problems led to that event not happening. So Chicago gets another big Heavyweight showdown between two of the best in the business, it is hard to complain about this card, which will be the promotion's debut on Spike TV.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His second novel, Terminus Cycle, is available now via Kindle and Paperback.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Keri Anne Melendez vs. Hadley Griffith Added to Bellator MMA Dynamite 1 Kickboxing Main Card
- Giorgio Petrosyan Fighting on GLORY 25 Monza
- GLORY's Future on TV Could Be With Showtime
- SuperKombat World Grand Prix Final Rumored to be Moved to Germany
- Giorgio Petrosyan Returning to Italy for November 6th Fight
- VIDEO: Badr Hari Scores TKO Victory Over Ismael Londt in Grozny
- Live Results: Badr Hari vs. Ismael Londt and Samedov vs. Poturak
- This Badr Hari Promo Video is Downright Insane
- Video: Jahfarr Wilnis vs Hesdy Gerges Kunlun Super Heavyweight Final
- Badr Hari vs. Ismael Londt Official for Akhmat Fight Show in Grozny