Even if GLORY is shifting towards four-man tournaments, there is still going to be a need for a reserve fight in these tournaments and considering that the reserve fighters will have fought the same number of fights as the main tournament fighters, it seems a lot more even. It was announced today that at GLORY 11 Chicago and their huge Heavyweight tournament that we'll see a Heavyweight reserve bout between newly-signed Hesdy Gerges and Errol Zimmerman. Both men have been top ten Heavyweights for years now, with Zimmerman having an incredible run up until he ran into Semmy Schilt last year.
This is a very logical move on the part of GLORY and oddly enough, this is a fight that has never happened before. Never. It was expected to go down at the K-1 World Grand Prix in Nanjing in 2011, but FEG's financial problems led to that event not happening. So Chicago gets another big Heavyweight showdown between two of the best in the business, it is hard to complain about this card, which will be the promotion's debut on Spike TV.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His second novel, Terminus Cycle, is available now via Kindle and Paperback.
Dave (a) LiverKick dot com | @dvewlshWebsite: www.dvewlsh.com
Latest from Dave Walsh
- LiverKick 2016 Awards: Fighter of the Year - Cedric Doumbe
- LiverKick 2016 Awards: Fight of the Year - Jaraya vs. Ben Moh
- LiverKick Podcast January 15, 2017: GLORY 37 Preview and 2016 Awards
- WLF January 14th Results: 70kg and 63kg Tournaments
- SuperStar Fight 7 Results: Cosmo Alexandre and Jo Nattawut Pick Up Wins
- Badr Hari Wants Rico Verhoeven Rematch in May or June
- Badr Hari Suffered a Muscle Tear, Not Broken Arm Against Rico Verhoeven
- The Importance of December 10th 2016 for Kickboxing
- LiverKick Podcast Revival: December 15th, 2016 GLORY: Collision Fallout and More
- Rico Verhoeven and Badr Hari's Historic Clash Sees Unfortunate Ending