Chael Sonnen, who was expected to fight at UFC 175 against Wanderlei Silva, then Vitor Belfort, has announced his retirement today. The retirement comes hot off of the heels of him failing a random drug test administered by the NSAC last month. The failed drug test was due to his former usage of TRT, which he claimed he was taking the banned substances to cycle off of TRT.
This retirement comes as little shock with Sonnen at 37 years of age who has contended for both the UFC Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Championship in the past, who now mainly works behind a desk for Fox Sports 1 as an analyst. Chael Sonnen was one of the few fighters in MMA who could draw fan interest and possibly PPV buys, although the latter was still untested.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His first novel, the Godslayer, is available now.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Yokkao Breaks New Ground with 4K Ultra HD Saenchai Promo
- VIDEO: Former NBA Player Darko Milicic Loses Kickboxing Debut
- Rico Verhoeven, Murthel Groenhart and Andy Souwer on KhunLun Fight 15
- Video: Josh Jauncey vs. Jae-Gil Noh From GLORY 18
- WGP #24 on December 20th Featuring Alex Pereira and Felipe Micheletti
- Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke Wants to Become First Lumpinee Champion to Win an MMA Title
- Roufusport Under Fire In Light of Munson Death From March
- Hunt falls in title bout, Schilling flattens Manhoef
- Dutch Legend Hans Nijman Murdered in Drive-By Shooting
- Michael Page Talking About Freestyle Kickboxing in MMA is Fascinating