Chael Sonnen, who was expected to fight at UFC 175 against Wanderlei Silva, then Vitor Belfort, has announced his retirement today. The retirement comes hot off of the heels of him failing a random drug test administered by the NSAC last month. The failed drug test was due to his former usage of TRT, which he claimed he was taking the banned substances to cycle off of TRT.
This retirement comes as little shock with Sonnen at 37 years of age who has contended for both the UFC Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Championship in the past, who now mainly works behind a desk for Fox Sports 1 as an analyst. Chael Sonnen was one of the few fighters in MMA who could draw fan interest and possibly PPV buys, although the latter was still untested.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His second novel, Terminus Cycle, is available now via Kindle and Paperback.
Dave (a) LiverKick dot com | @dvewlshWebsite: www.dvewlsh.com
Latest from Dave Walsh
- WLF: Rise of Heroes III Fight Card Featuring Four Tournaments
- Muay Thai Grand Prix Launching Kickboxing Grand Prix in 2017
- GLORY Announces GLORY 37 Los Angeles in January
- Lion Fight 32 Results: Jo Nattawut Wins MIddleweight Title on Short Notice
- Lion Fight 32 Main Event Update: Malaipet vs. Nattawut New Main Event
- Saenchai Training BJJ at Yokkao Gym in Bangkok, Possibly Preparing For MMA
- GLORY Heavyweight Champion Rico Verhoeven is Considering a Full-Time Move to MMA
- Bellator Kickboxing Announce Team Set Heading Into Inaugural Event
- GLORY 28 and SuperFight Series Live Results
- A Look at the Truly SUPER GLORY 28 SuperFight Series